Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Does This Dress Make Me Look Pregnant?



I bought this dress in a thrift shop for RM15 (around $3.50). A dress like this in retail could easily cost me around three to four times that price.

The dress, had twice, brought me memories that I will never forget. Twice while wearing this dress, people had mistakenly thought I was pregnant. I’m not offended though, quite far from it actually. I found their opinion hilarious.

The first time I heard of it was when I went to the doctors for cough + flu + fever combo in 2019. Whenever I fell ill, my skin felt like it’s on fire. Everything hurts, even a slight breeze. Every time my skin brushed against any articles of clothes I’m wearing, it felt like I’m being sliced with a sharp knife. So a broad dress came across as heavenly at times like this. It’s comfortable and didn’t brush against me as much.

The doctor took my temperature, and asked the usual questions; symptoms, drug allergies. He took off his stethoscope and said, ‘This dress you’re wearing, you’re not pregnant are you?’

I’m not being ignorant; I can hear what the doctor wasn’t saying. He just wanted to make sure I’m not with child so that he can give me the proper medicine to treat me. But he did mention the dress being the reason he asked. Both of us laughed loudly in his office when I told him no.

The second time I heard of it was on Saturday in 2020 when I went to the string of food market near the town library. It was exceptionally hot, and I felt especially plump that day, so I pulled this dress from my closet to wear. There was this lady, whose stall was selling pastries: bread, buns, full-sized egg tarts, mini egg tarts, pineapple tarts, you name it. I was craving for pineapple tarts so I went there to buy a carton. The lady switched the carton I handed her to what she said to be a “better looking tarts” because the one I picked had cracks in them.

“We women should give good food to our babies if we’re pregnant” she said, implying that I’m pregnant. “The poor baby in your tummy wants to eat pineapple tarts. Let’s give the baby the good-looking tarts, okay”.

I laughed so hard when I heard her say it. I did not correct her, as I did not want to embarrass her and make things awkward. I went along with her assumption, and was given a discount for the pineapple tarts and she even thrown an egg tart for free.

I collapsed in the car in a fit of laughter when I tell my father about it. I know this has everything to do with the dress. I’m on the chubby side, but people never outwardly ask or assume I’m pregnant. But it has happened only twice, and both times were because I wore this dress.                

No comments:

Post a Comment